Chapter 1 in Say Everything brings up a lot of issues that people, not just Justin Hall, face when sharing things about themselves on the Internet. How much should you share? What could be the consequences? I have thought about this topic when I consider making a Facebook. I am one of the few people I know that doesn’t have one. I haven’t made one because I’m not sure how much I want people to know about me. Will any information that I post on there come back to haunt me? I have heard countless stories about people that regretted posting something because of negative consequences that occurred. I also worry that not having a Facebook wouldn’t look good to future employers. They might require me to have experience with social networking.
Justin Hall’s Dark Night video showed me how much sharing his life on the Internet meant to him. I knew that Hall had been very involved in links.net and other web endeavors from reading about his story in Say Everything, but watching the video showed how much he valued the work he did. He looked so distraught, as if someone close to him had passed away. It’s like he is grieving the loss of the connections he made on the Internet. He said that he wants to share his feelings because someone out there could be feeling the exact way. He explained that by doing this you gain shreds of connection that as a whole prevent you from feeling lonely. Hall questions if you can make strong connections in life without sacrificing your career and goals in life. I think most people can relate to this problem. I think it is brave of Hall to share this video with the world and I’m sure this helped others when they were facing dark times.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.